Software Engineer / Data Scientist – Java Backend Services
Software Engineering - Düsseldorf, Germany
- Level: Professionals
- Start date: As soon as possible
Software Engineer / Data Scientist - Java Backend Services
trivago offers a highly dynamic, international, and result driven environment, where you’ll get the chance to make a meaningful impact on millions of users. If scale and complexity excite you, trivago should be your first choice!
We are looking for a Software Engineer with a solid background in data science who wants to join our Backend Services team and help us to optimize our revenue growth by building models and algorithms that improve our CPC bidding market. In your new role you’ll cooperate closely with individuals from Product Management and Business Intelligence, as well as engineers, and take full ownership of your work as a team – from the initial idea generation to the implementation in our search core. You should be passionate about your craft, versatile and ambitious to push our business forward.
- Work in a cross-functional team that takes full ownership of its products, from ideation to the rollout of fully fledged features written in Java/Python.
- Contribute with your technical expertise to the development of new algorithms that improve our traffic monetization.
- Conduct rigorous testing of your work and monitor its impact on both our tech and business metrics.
- Be creative, challenge yourself and help take trivago to the next level.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, etc.).
- A very good understanding of Java with a strong focus on concurrency.
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language, e.g. Python or R.
- You have experience implementing multi-core/distributed software, preferably in a Linux environment.
- Exposure to SQL and relational databases.
- You are comfortable communicating in English (our company language).
- Experience with Cassandra, Redis, MongoDB, or Spark.
- Interest in machine learning.
- You are knowledgeable in packages such as Pandas and NumPy.
- Excellent English communication skills: you have the ability to easily convey your message to team members and other stakeholders.
- You have worked with the Hadoop Ecosystem.
Life at trivago is...
- The opportunity to develop personally and professionally with regular code workshops and Hackathons, as well as the chance to contribute to our tech blog.
- The ability to push your ideas through to execution without being held back by bureaucracy.The freedom to embrace small-scale failures as a path to large-scale success.
- The belief that factual proof, not seniority, determines which path to take.
- Self-determined working hours based on measuring productivity through goals rather than number of hours spent in the office.
- Being supported in all your needs, including relocation assistance and language classes for international arrivals.
- Working at our head office in Düsseldorf, a city boasting the 6th highest quality of life in the world for expats.
- Please note that your CV and motivation letter must be written in English.
- When submitting your application, please provide us with any links that showcase your work, or that might be relevant to the position (ie. GitHub, Bitbucket, Stack Overflow etc.). You can include these at the top of your CV.